Portobello 3 Craigmount 3
The Senior football team kicked-off the new season on Friday 29th August against Craigmount High School, with the lads knuckling down to claim a share of the spoils at Calvary Park.
With new seniors head coach, Mr Stewart taking over the reins from Mr Aitken for the forthcoming season, the ex-Portobello student will have been looking for his side to get off to a positive start, and they did just that against a determined Craigmount side.
The boys were sporting the new black & blue striped kit kindly donated by local amateur side Edinburgh Rose. Goals from Harvey Blackie, Harry Davis and Kieran Grant ensured a hard-fought point in difficult conditions.
After the match I spoke to new seniors head coach, Mr Stewart, who gave me his reflections on the match:
“I thought the boys did really well to be fair. During the first-half we were a goal up and I felt maybe we could have scored a few more. Harvey netted a terrific goal, but did manage to miss a real sitter which we all had a good laugh at, but other than that we played really well first-half.”
“Second-half, we let a two goal lead slip and just switched off once we went 3-1 up. I think the boys possibly thought the game was over and to concede two poor goals is a little disappointing, but there were far more positives than there were negatives to take from the game.”
“Craigmount are a decent side, but over the piece I felt we narrowly shaded it. They had a few good players, their goalkeeper made a string of good saves, but a draws was a fair result.”
Team: Craig Swinney (GK), Cammy Combe, Adrian Shala, Jack Smith, Euan Tarry, Leon Bell, Harvey Blackie, John Fleming, Harry Davis, Jack Ferry, Kieran Grant.
Subs: Sam Murphy, Ethan Nicholson, Jack Thayers, Kieran Thomson.
The Under 14s side defeated the Royal High school 2-1.
In other sporting news:
· S3 pupils Michael Barfoot and Lewis MacKinnon have been selected to represent the Edinburgh Schools under 15s Select football team.
· Harry Davis (S5) and Jack Smith (S6) have also been selected to represent the Edinburgh Schools Seniors football team. Congratulations boys!
· The Edinburgh Schools Golf League began on Friday 12th September with the first of five rounds having took place at Kingsknowe Golf Club. There is still an opportunity to take part in the event, providing you play 3 of the 5 rounds. There is a small charge of £10 (£2 per round) to play some amazing courses and win great prizes!
· The extra-curricular sports clubs programme is now up-and-running, with the school offering a wide range of different sporting activities you can participate in so make sure you don’t miss out and get involved!
· Activities include; Football, Basketball, Badminton, Karate, Boys/Girls Rugby, Table Tennis, Dance and Judo.
By Lewis Anderson
By Lewis Anderson
Football Results (Age category)
Saturday 6th September
Saturday 20th September
Forrester 3 Porty 1
St Thomas’ 2 Porty 14
Porty 2 Lasswade 4
James Gillespie’s 1 Porty 3
Porty 1 Firrhill 0
Porty 7 James Gillespie’s 3
Porty 7 Firrhill 3